A stone barn is now the library at Cumbria University April 2, 2014 – Posted in: Libraries, Library Architecture
Built in 1929 this stone barn used to house the student union at University of Cumbria‘s Ambleside Campus.
Now with the help of John McAslan + Partners the stone barn has been transformed into the campus library.
“Informed by the campus’s setting in a National Park, the architects endeavored to minimize alterations to the existing barn’s stone exterior and added an extension with a pitched roof and large windows overlooking a new courtyard.”
And it looks like they did a real nice job.
All photographs copyright: Hufton + Crow