New technology looks to uncover hidden text on map that influenced Christopher Columbus September 16, 2014 – Posted in: Content, Maps, Special Collections

The map is referred to as the Martellus map. It is named after its creator, the German cartographer Henricus Martellus, and is thought be have been produced in or around 1491. The only known surviving copy lives at the Beinecke Library at Yale. Being a large wall map, it is 4 by 6.5 feet, and having survived for over 500 years it is understandable that the map has seen better days.  The map, which is usually on display by Beinecke’s service desk,…

Continue reading